[trARPES] Fwd: METIS: current status and to-do list

Laurenz Rettig rettig at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Jun 29 10:03:59 CEST 2018

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	METIS: current status and to-do list
Date: 	Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:33:33 +0200
From: 	Ralph Ernstorfer <ernstorfer at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>
To: 	Martin Ellguth <ellguth at surface-concept.de>, Elena.Arbelo at specs.com
<Elena.Arbelo at specs.com>, Marko.Wietstruk at specs.com
<Marko.Wietstruk at specs.com>, Michael Kallmayer
<kallmayer at surface-concept.de>, Thomas Berg <berg at surface-concept.de>,
oelsner at surface-concept.de <oelsner at surface-concept.de>, Schönhense,
Prof. Dr. Gerd <schoenhe at uni-mainz.de>
CC: 	Laurenz Rettig <rettig at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>

Dear all,

we have gained some practical experience with the METIS by now and
collected first data with the fs XUV (22 eV) pulses. Some of the data
looks very nice already, see attachment. The short visit of Gerd and
Hajo during their BESSY beam time was extremely helpful. We are still
far from truly mastering this instrument, though.

We also gained some experience with the software. While a lot of things
work fairly nicely, there still is a number of issues ranging from bugs
to aspects that are inconvenient to a wish list of features. We
collected these in the attached document. We are aware that it's a
fairly long list, but we have sorted it according to category and
severeness of the issues.

We noticed a count rate dependent electron artifact during the site
acceptance test. It is also described in the attachment.

Besides software and data acquisition, there is an issue with the
magnetic shielding. There is indications that magnetic fields enter the
spin filter replacement tube, deflecting the electrons vertically. When
using 22 eV photon energy, we have not found an alignment yet where the
electrons propagate on the optical axis of the objective lens and the
subsequent lenses (A-F), arrive centered on the detector without being
distorted in both imaging modes. This was already noticed during the
factory acceptance test (distortions of the CHESSY sample images), i.e.
it does not arise from our lab environment. Do you have suggestions for
improving / fixing this issue?

Cheers,
   Laurenz and Ralph

Ralph Ernstorferernstorfer at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Research Group Structural and Electronic Surface Dynamics
ERC project FLATLAND
Fritz Haber Institute
Faradayweg 4-6                              Tel: +49 30 8413-5117
14195 Berlin                                Fax: +49 30 8413-5387
Germany
http://w0.rz-berlin.mpg.de/pc/ernstorfer/

Das FHI verarbeitet, speichert und loescht Daten im Rahmen seiner
Geschaeftstaetigkeit gemaess der Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO)
[General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)] der Europaeischen Union.